- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP dried basiL
- 3 TBSP tomato paste ( I prefer Tomato paste with basil, garlic & oregano but regular is good too)
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 – 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (I prefer the chicken thighs)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 Cups Frozen Cheese Tortellini
- 3 Cups Fresh Spinach, packed
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded not grated
Turn Instant Pot to sauté, on high. Heat the oil and add diced onion. Stir for a couple of minutes and add garlic. When onion is translucent turn off.
Add in basil, tomato paste, chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper. Stir quickly.
Cover Instant Pot and secure lid. Set valve to sealing. Set Instant pot to Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes. When this time is over, quick release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board. Cut into bite size pieces, or shred and add it all back to the pot.
Stir in the Tortellini, Spinach, and Parmesan cheese. Turn Instant Pot to Saute, only if needed, to heat up the tortellini quickly. Once the tortellini is warmed through it is ready to serve.
I serve this with a crusty French or Italian Bread and additional Parmesan Shreds for garnish.
Article by Melissa Dye / Customer Service Representative at Byrd-Watson Medical Downtown